Skip to main content
TAXAJ Corporate Services LLP - Financial Doctors

Modify/Surrender PAN Card | Surrender TAN Number

After allotment of the PAN card, if the PAN card holder needs any rectification or changes, one can correct the details. Also, the government does not allow the holding of more than one PAN card. However, there is a procedure to modify the details mentioned in the PAN card. A similar method is applicable for the surrender of PAN cards.

As we aware that some times assessee obtain TAN just to make some TDS payments and after those transactions and payments there is no need of that TAN in further future. Also some time an assessee may have been allotted multiple TAN. The multiple TAN may have been allotted to the Assessee for many reasons i.e. He may have applied multiple times for allotment of TAN and every time he has been allotted a TAN or may have inadvertently allowed multiple TAN by Income tax Department, NSDL or UTI. Assessee who have more than one TAN should immediately Apply for surrender of additional TAN number(s) allotted to them.

Page 1Created with Sketch.

About This Plan

Not using your PAN or TAN or closed down your business? You need your PAN Cancellation or Surrender the PAN or TAN

Created by potrace 1.15, written by Peter Selinger 2001-2017


It usually takes 3 to 4 weeks.

Services Covered
Who Should Buy
How It's Done
Documents Required
Services Covered

  • Eligibility Consultation
  • Preparation of documents
  • Filing of Application for Surrender / Cancellation for 1 PAN/TAN
  • Business Hour CA Support
Who Should Buy
  • Individuals who want to cancel PAN
  • All entities who want to cancel TAN
How It's Done

    • Purchase of Plan
    • Upload documents
    • Filing of application
    • Get Application Code
Documents Required
  • Original Pan Card or TAN letter

How to Surrender Duplicate Pan Card or Cancel the Pan Number after Closure of Business!

How to Surrender TAN Number Online in Case of Closure or Duplicacy!

What is PAN Jurisdiction?

Every PAN card is connected to an AO Code that has 10 digits in the PAN database. This unique code denotes the PAN holder's jurisdiction and this, in turn, shows the Commissioner's Charge, Chief Commissioner Region, Joint Commissioner Range, and the place and designation of the Assessing Officer (AO).

Each PAN holder is assigned with a separate range depending on his or her source of income and geographical details. Each of these ranges will be divided into multiple units and these units are known as circles or wards.

Your ward will be determined according to the income that you declare for which there is a limit. If you declare lesser than the specific limit, you will be given a sub-jurisdiction. If you declare above a specific limit, you will be included in a certain circle.

Please note that if you change your residential area, your AO code can also change. In order to modify your AO code, you will need to apply to a new AO.

How to check your PAN Jurisdiction & AO Codes?

You can find your PAN jurisdiction and AO details either without logging into the Income Tax portal or by logging in. The steps below show how to get your jurisdiction and AO details without logging in.

Step 1: Go to the official website of Income Tax Department and to the 'Know Your Jurisdictional AO' section on the site.

PAN Jurisdiction Step 1

Step 2: Enter your PAN and mobile number and submit.

PAN Jurisdiction Step 2

Step 3: You will then get a one-time password on your registered mobile number. Enter it on the webpage. You'll get 3 trials for entering the right OTP.

Step 4: You will arrive at the jurisdiction details for the corresponding PAN. You will get the name, area code, AO type, range code, AO number, jurisdiction, building name of the income tax ward office, email ID of the income tax award office, and your PAN card status.

PAN Jurisdiction Step 4

The method to check your PAN jurisdiction and AO Code by logging in to the portal can be found on our detailed page on AO Codes.

How can we Modify/Surrender PAN Number/PAN Card?

The online method for modification or surrender of PAN card:

Step 1 – Go to the website.

Step 2 – Select “PAN” from the services menu. Click on “Apply” under the sub-heading that reads as ‘Change/Correction in PAN data.

Step 3 – Fill up the necessary details with correct information and submit.

Step 4 – Once the form is submitted and a change request has been registered, the applicant will receive a unique token number via the email address they have mentioned on the PAN card correction form. Keep the token number for future references.

Step 5 – Click ‘Continue with PAN Application Form’. 

Step 6 – On the new page, select ‘Submit Scanned Images Through e-Sign.’ And mention your existing PAN details at the bottom-left of the webpage.

Step 7 – Fill up the essential personal details and contact details in the PAN card correction form.

Step 8 – Select and upload the proof of identity, date of birth, residence details, PAN, and submit. Make sure these details are the ones you want to update.

Step 9 – Fill up the declaration and submit it.

Step 10-An authorised signatory must sign the PAN card form in case of PAN card to be surrendered issued in the name of a company or a partnership firm. 

Step 11- You will be redirected to the payment page. One can make payment through a credit/debit card, a demand draft or internet banking.

Step 12-  An acknowledgement slip will be generated on successful payment. The applicant should print and send for processing to the NSDL e-gov office at ‘Income Tax PAN Services Unit’ and other proof of documents. An acknowledgement slip will be generated on successful payment. The applicant should print and send for processing to the NSDL e-gov office at ‘Income Tax PAN Services Unit’ and other proof of documents. 

Also, affix a photograph in the space provided and sign across it. Write ‘Application for PAN Change’ on top of the envelope along with the application number.

In case you want to surrender all the PAN/s inadvertently allotted to you, mention them under the sub-heading “Mention other Permanent Account Numbers (PANs) if any, inadvertently allotted to you,”, i.e. item no. 11 of the form, and submit the corresponding PAN card copy/s for cancellation, along with the form.

Offline method to change or surrender the PAN card is:

Step 1 – One can obtain the ‘Request for a New PAN Card Or/and PAN card correction’ Form from the IT PAN Centres or TIN facilitation centres/PAN centres, or 

Download the Form from the income tax/UTIITSL/NSDL e-Gov website and fill in the necessary details.

Step 2 – Fill the form and submit it at your nearest collection centre along with the necessary documents.

Step 3 – You will be given an acknowledgement slip on submission of the form.

Step 4 – If you want to surrender the PAN card, give the details about the duplicate PAN card in question by addressing a letter to the assessing officer. Also, put forward a request to cancel.

Post the letter to the income tax office near you and save the acknowledgement number for future use.

NSDL e-Gov at ‘Income Tax PAN Services Unit, NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited, 5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411 016.

How to Change your PAN Jurisdiction?

You will be required to change your PAN jurisdiction when you change your residential address or jurisdiction or when you are not satisfied with your current Assessing Officer.

How to Change Your Assessing Officer When Your Address Has Changed?

When you move to a new house in a different area, you will need to change your details as you will have to file your tax returns. You will also need to change it so that you can have accurate communication with the Income Tax Department on time.

For example, if you have moved from one city to another, you will have to intimate the current jurisdictional tax officer by writing a letter. In some cases, the jurisdiction will get modified without making any request. Here are the steps to change your AO by changing your address in PAN:

Step 1: Visit NSDL site and go to

Step 2: Fill all the relevant parts of the form and upload the supporting documents and photograph.

Step 3: Submit the form and make the necessary payment.

Step 4: Save and print the acknowledgement you receive at the end of the PAN correction/change form submission.

Step 5: Sign the acknowledgment, glue on photographs, and sign on one of the photos as well.

Step 6: Send this acknowledgement along with supporting documents to NSDL by post within 15 days of online application.

Important: Read the guidelines on the NSDL website before you fill the form, to ensure that you make no mistake. Also check our page on how to change address in PAN for detailed steps.

With this request, your assessment records will be moved from your current jurisdictional assessing officer to your new jurisdictional assessing officer. You will need to write a letter for this request and get it acknowledged. You will need to give this acknowledged letter to the new assessing officer. In the letter, you will have to mention your name, PAN, your current A.O. Circle or Ward, your new A.O. Circle or Ward, and the reason for the transfer of your assessment records and legal documents.

How to Change Your Assessing Officer When You Are Not Happy with Their Behavior?

If you think that your Assessing Officer is not behaving professionally or not executing his or her duties efficiently, then you can request to change your officer. You can follow these guidelines to get your jurisdiction changed:

  • Write a detailed letter and furnish it to the Ombudsman.
  • You and the authorised representative will have to sign the letter.
  • In the letter, give clear details such as your name, address, the name of the officer you are complaining against, and the reason for your grievance against him or her.
  • Furnish the relevant supporting documents.

How is an Assessing Officer (AO) assigned?

Assessing Officers are not assigned based on your personal details. They are assigned based on the Income Tax ward or circle that you belong to. Your I-T ward/circle is determined based on your geographical location and whether you are an individual/non-individual or an Indian citizen/NRI. These wards and circles are created in order to make it easy and more effective for the Income Tax department to assess taxpayers, collect tax, review discrepancies, issue refunds, and deal with complaints.

Your ward's Assessing Officer may hold any of the following titles:

  • Income Tax Officer
  • Deputy Commissioner
  • Assistant Commissioner
  • Additional Commissioner
  • Joint Commissioner

Why You Should Know Your PAN Jurisdiction and Assessing Officer?

The Assessing Officer has several responsibilities, including but not limited to the following:

  • Issuing your PAN Card
  • Assessing your income and calculating the tax owed by you
  • Ensuring taxes are being collected
  • Evaluating your Income Tax Returns (ITR)
  • Issuing tax refunds
  • Sending notices if any discrepancy is found in ITRs
  • Providing solutions to the complaints of taxpayers in their jurisdiction

The AO also has the power to impose penalties or waive them off. Each Income Tax ward or circle has one or more designated AOs. Knowing your PAN jurisdiction and AO is useful when you want to visit them in person or send a snail mail, instead of sending an email. You may want to contact the AO to talk about a notice sent to you, give a clarification to the notice, raise a dispute about a notice, or make a complaint about any part of the Income Tax process.

You can know your PAN AO jurisdiction if you have a valid PAN. You can find out your income tax ward number or AO Code by entering your PAN details. You may have to furnish these jurisdiction details when you want to file your income tax returns.

Lets Discuss TAN

Cancellation/Surrendering of TAN can be done in two situations:

CASE 1- Where duplicate TAN has been allotted;

In CASE 1, the deductor has to approach the NSDL for cancellation of the ‘Duplicate –Unused TAN. For this, an application Form, which is applicable for ‘Changes & Correction of TAN’ needs to be used. The same can be downloaded from the NSDL website and is also available with TIN-FCs/other vendors. The application can be made online as well as in physical form. In this way, the ‘Duplicate TAN can be cancelled.

CASE 2 – Where TAN allotted, is not required anymore by the assessee/deductor.

In Case 2, the deductor has to make an application with the jurisdictional A.O. (TDS), on a plain paper, requesting for cancellation of TAN and state reasons for such a request.

What do we have to do if we have been allotted a duplicate TAN by oversight?

In case duplicate TAN has been allotted, an application may be made for cancellation of the TAN which has not been used in the “Form for Changes or Correction in TAN” which can be downloaded from the website of NSDL ( or printed by local printers or obtained from any other source. The application is also available at TIN Facilitation Centres.