EPR Authorisation for Plastic and E-Waste Management
EPR means Extended Producer Responsibility, which includes an environmental and economical approach to preventing, cleaning up and recycling plastic and E-waste. As per the Waste Management Rules in India, the manufacturer, importer, producer and brand owners are held responsible for controlling Plastic and E-waste after the expiry of the product’s life cycle.
For this, these entities need to obtain EPR Authorisation for e-waste/plastic waste management in India. EPR Authorisation is granted by the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) under the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Control of the Government of India. It assigns the responsibility of environmentally sound disposal or recycling of plastic and E-waste on the EPR holder.
So, the Producer, Importer, brand owners, and manufacturer can apply for the EPR license in India. EPR certification is mandatory for all manufacturers and importers of E-waste in India. The E-waste certification is required for the Indian and foreign manufacturers or the importers of electoral and electronic equipment under the EPR Authorization.
Apply for the EPR License Registration easily with TAXAJ
Depends upon case to case basis
- Application and Approval for EPR License and Certification in India
- Business or Individual planning to work in the field of plastic and e-waste management.
- Purchase of Plan
- Expert Assigned
- Share the details as requested
- Filing of Application for EPR License
- PAN, GST, CIN,
- IEC (for importer) of the Company
- Aadhar / PAN of Authorized person
- DIC Registration (if the unit is registered with DIC)
- Process flow diagrams (for producers & PWPs only)
- Consents issued by SPCB/PCC (if the unit has a production facility)
- Scanned copy of signatures of authorized persons.
- Covering letter
- Geo-tagged pictures of raw material storage area, production area, product dispatch area, and plant machinery (in case of PWPs only)
- Documents regarding any other information that the unit wishes to provide.
What is EPR Registration?
EPR REGISTRATION for Plastic Waste Management: Plastic products have become an essential part of our daily lives. It is produced on a massive scale all over the world. Plastic waste is generated at approximately 5.6 million tonnes per annum (TPA) in India. Its disposal is a significant issue. Recycling is a good way to reuse plastic products but finding a way to eliminate plastic is important.
To ensure the processing of plastic packaging waste, the Extended Producers Responsibility (EPR) regime is being implemented in the Plastic Waste Management Rules, 2016. According to which, Producers, importers, and brand owners are responsible for ensuring that their plastic packaging waste is processed through recycling, re-use, or end-of-life disposal.
PIBO refers to producer, importer and brandowners. If you identify as a PIBO and have operations in India that include the use of plastic packaging, you fall under the obligation of EPR regardless of your turnover or scale of operations.
Let’s understand Extended Producer Responsibility:
Extended Producers Responsibility means the responsibilities of Producers for the environmentally sound management of the product until the end of its life.
Extended Producer Responsibility for Plastic Packaging is the responsibility of Producers, Importers & Brand Owners for the management of their plastic packaging waste.
The Ministry of Environment, Forests, and Climate Change, Government of India, notified an amendment to the PWM Rules on February 16, 2022, according to which producers, importers, brand owners (PIBOs), and Plastic Waste Processors shall comply with Extended Producer Responsibility as per Guidelines given in Schedule II of PWM Rules.
According to EPR guidelines for plastic packaging, Producers, Importers, Brand-Owners, and Plastic Waste processors shall have to register through the centralized online EPR portal developed by the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB). PIBOs shall have to obtain EPR Registration for Plastic Waste Management from CPCB.
PIBOs that operate in one or two states/UTs are required to register with the concerned State Pollution Control Boards (SPCB/PCC). PIBOs that operate in more than two states/UTs are required to register with CPCB.
PIBOs are required to ensure that plastic waste is processed through Plastic Waste Processors (PWPs) in accordance with an action plan in order to meet assigned EPR targets. They shall obtain a PWP certificate based on the amount of plastic waste processed by PWPs and use these certificates to meet their EPR targets. If any PIBO fails to comply with PWM rules, environmental compensation will be imposed, as well as disciplinary action.
Guidelines for EC Assessment for violation of PWM Rules 2016, CPCB
The following entities shall register for EPR registration certificate on the centralized EPR portal developed by CPCB:
- Brand owner
- Plastic Waste Processor engaged in (a) recycling, (b) waste to energy, (c) waste to oil, and (d) industrial composting.
Responsibilities of PIBOs:
PIBO are responsible to
- Register at EPR Portal
- Submit their Action plan
- Fulfill obligations for:
- Use of Recycled content
- End of life disposal
- Optional engagement in collection and recovery of the plastics
- Submit annual returns
- Provide proof of certificates (Plastic credits)
PIBOs can work with PROs (Producer Responsibility Organisation) or other agencies separately to meet their target, but reporting and responsibility for meeting those obligation is entirely of PIBO.
BANNED SINGLE-USE PLASTIC ITEMS IN INDIA
According to the Plastic Waste Management (Amendment) Rules, 2021, it will be illegal to manufacture, import, stock, sell, distribute or use identified single-use plastic products from July 1, 2022.
The list of Single-Use Plastic (SUP) items that will be prohibited from 1st July 2022 are as follows:
- Earbuds with plastic sticks
- Plastic sticks for balloons
- Plastic flags
- Candy sticks
- Ice cream sticks
- Polystyrene (Thermocol) for Decoration
- Wrapping/packing films around sweet boxes
- Invitation cards
- Cigarette packets
- Plastic/PVC banners less than 100 microns
CATEGORIES OF PLASTIC PACKAGING COVERED UNDER EPR
Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) applies to the following plastic packaging categories:
Category I: Rigid plastic packaging
Category II: Single-layer or multilayer flexible plastic packaging (more than one layer with different types of plastic), plastic sheets or similar and covers made of plastic sheets, carry bags, plastic sachets or pouches
Category III: Multi-layered plastic packaging (at least one layer of plastic and at least one layer of material other than plastic)
Category IV: Plastic sheet or like used for packaging as well as compostable plastic carry bags
PROCESS OF EPR REGISTRATION FOR PIBOS/PWPS
To obtain EPR for Plastic Waste Management, PIBOs shall submit an online application along with the necessary information, documents, and application fees.
The process of EPR Registration are as follows:
- Documentation: Before filling out the application form, make sure you have a copy of the all-relevant documents in pdf, jpg, or png file formats on hand.
- Registration for login credentials: The application process begins with self-registration on the centralized portal to obtain login credentials, followed by application filling.
- Submission of application: After self-registration, the Applicant will receive credentials for login to file the Application form. Separate application pages have been designed for Producers, Brand owners, and Importers. The Applicant shall fill section-wise information and upload all relevant documents for EPR Registration.
- Submission of application fee: The Applicant shall pay the application fees along with the application for Registration. The fees shall be paid online using the payment gateway integrated on the portal.
- Processing of application: If the PIBOs operate in one or two states, Online applications filed by PIBOs will be transferred to the concerned SPCBs/PCCs on the same portal for further processing. CPCB will process the remaining applications.
- Grant of EPR Registration: The registration application shall be processed within 15 days by authorized officials for grant of EPR registration. If false information/documents are found to have been submitted, applications will be rejected. If application is deemed to be complete, CPCB/SPCB/PCC will issue EPR registration certificates to PIBOs using a digital signature integrated into the portal.
How much application fees to be paid for EPR Registration of PIBOs/ PWPs?
EPR Registration for Plastics Waste Management fees to be paid by PIBO/PWP are as given below:
A) Application fees for EPR registration of PIBOs
|Plastic waste Generation (TPA)||Application Fee (Rs.)|
B) Application fees for EPR Registration of PWPs
|Production capacity slab (TPA)||Proposed processing fees (Rs.)|
C) EPR Renewal fees: Renewal fees shall be the same as the initial registration fee of EPR.
D) Annual processing Fees: Annual Processing Fees shall be 25% of Application Fees of EPR
Validity, Renewal & Cancellation of EPR Registration
- A new registration shall be valid for one year, and a renewed registration shall be valid for three years.
- PIBO shall submit the renewal application, along with the required documents, four months before the expiry of the Registration.
- EPR Plastic waste registration granted to PIBOs may be cancelled or suspended at any time if the document submitted by the PIBO is found to be false.
At last, if your plastic product is covered under EPR, you shall have to register through the centralized online EPR portal of CPCB. A plastic waste management registration certificate (EPR Registration) from CPCB is required for manufacturers, importers, brand owners, and plastic waste processors of plastic packaging.
PIBOs and PWPs may not conduct business unless they obtain EPR registration for plastic waste management from CPCB. Plastic waste management registration can be obtained by submitting an application through the CPCB's centralized EPR portal.
To know more about the EPR Registration for plastic waste management and to run your business smoothly, contact at +91 8961228919 for free consultation. We will meet your expectations by providing quick and efficient EPR Registration services for plastic waste management. Our experts will assist you in obtaining an EPR Registration certificate on time by guiding you through each step of the process.