BIS Hallmark Registration & Certification Online
BIS is a short form for Bureau of Indian Standards, which is a National Standard Body of India constituted under the BIS Act 2016. It was established for the harmonious development of standardisation, marking, and quality certification of goods and for incidental or connected matters. BIS is providing traceable and tangible benefits to the national economy by providing safe and reliable quality goods, decreasing health hazards to consumers, promoting import and export substitutes, controlling the proliferation of varieties, etc., through standardisation, Certification and testing.
BIS and Hall Mark Registration Online
The entire BIS Registration procedure including testing, takes about thirty to forty days.
- Registration for BIS
- Registration for Hallmark
- Business or Individual planning to start electronics or jewellery business in India
- Purchase of Plan
- Expert Assigned
- Share the details as requested
- Preparation of Report/Proposal.
BIS demands a number of documents, as shown below, for the issuance of BIS Certification to the applicant:
- Name and Address proof of the applicant and the factory.
- Proof of Establishment of Manufacturing Unit such as Certificate of Incorporation or Registration Certificate, MOA, etc.
- SSI or MSME Certificate
- Details of Outsourcing of the manufacturing process
- Layout plan
- Location plan of the factory
- Manufacturing Process Flow
- Detailed List of Machinery involved
- List of Testing equipment and facilities
- Calibration Certificates of testing equipment
- 3rd party laboratory test report as per the Indian Standards
- If an authorised signatory signs the Application, an authorisation letter from the CEO in the name of the authorised signatory
- In the case of Overseas or foreign manufacturers, the Indian Agent and Nomination Form details.
- Technical details of products, such as PCB Layout, Schematic Diagrams, User Manual and Critical Components List
- Acknowledgement receipt
- Letter of Consent from CEO of Company
- Undertaking and Affidavit attested with ID Proof and signature of the approved Indian Representative (in case of the foreign or overseas manufacturer)
- Original Test Reports from BIS Laboratory
- Undertaking related to the test report
What is BIS?
BIS is involved in various activities for the interest of consumers, and they are as follows:
- Compulsory Registration Scheme
- Standard Formulation
- Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme
- Product Certification Scheme
- Hall Marking Scheme
- Sale of Indian Standards
- Laboratory Services
- Laboratory Recognition Scheme
- Consumer Affairs Activities
- Information Services
- Promotional Activities
- Training Services, National and International Level
In India, the BIS issues BIS Certification to provide customers with a third-party guarantee of goods' safety, quality, and reliability. The Government of our country has made it compulsory to consider public health for specific products. The purposes of BIS Certification are to increase the customer's confidence and trust in the products, provide quality assurance, safeguard customers from hazardous products and protect public health.
The manufacturers of electronic products listed under the Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS) obtain the BIS Certification. The Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS) was notified by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) in 2012. The Ministry also passed an order in 2012 that a person cannot manufacture, distribute or store goods for sale or import that do not conform to the Indian Standard as specified in the order and bear a standard mark with a BIS unique registration number.
BIS Compulsory Registration Scheme
More than 30 years ago, the Bureau of Indian Standards developed the BIS certification process. However, before the Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS Scheme) in 2013, spearheaded by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), the procedure needed to be properly standardized. The Compulsory Registration Scheme is developed for Electronics and IT Products manufacturers. As per this scheme the manufacturers of electronics & IT products must obtain a BIS Registration license from the Bureau of Indian Standards. BIS has supervised certification processes and issued nearly all standards. Although standardization is still ongoing and far from complete, it has remained relatively stable since 2013.
BIS Registration Process under Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS Scheme)
The process of BIS Registration under Compulsory Registration Scheme involves the following steps mentioned below:
- Step 1: You need to submit a sample of the product to BIS recognized testing lab to get the product tested along with the required laboratory fees. Fees can vary according to the product under consideration.
- Step 2: The testing process typically takes 10-15 days to get completed. After a thorough examination of the product, the laboratory issues the Test Report.
- Step 3: The test report along with the application application & documents need to be submitted to the BIS portal. you will be contacted by a member of staff of BIS via email if there are any queries.
- Step 4: After scrutiny of the application form, documents and test report, BIS grants the license.
BIS Hallmarking Registration Scheme
The Bureau of Indian Standards is also responsible for setting and promoting standards including gold and other precious metals. If you are a manufacturer or seller of gold or other precious metal products in India, you may be required to have your products registered with BIS. This process involves obtaining a hallmarking license from BIS and complying with the relevant Indian standards for the product in question. To register your products with BIS, you will need to submit an application along with the necessary documents and fees.
BIS Hallmarking Registration Process
The process of Hallmark registration involves the following steps:
- Step 1: Documentation before submission of application.
- Step 2: Generation of online portal on BIS website.
- Step 3: Submission of application, documents and fees through BIS Manak online portal.
- Step 4: Scrutiny of application and documents by BIS officials.
- Step 5: Grant of BIS hallmarking license.
Following the inspection process, the factory undergoes a full survey, referred to as the surveillance process. The measures involved in the surveillance process are as follows:
- The factory will be visited by the inspecting authority, who will testify.
- The samples were taken after the testing.
- The samples will be sent to independent laboratories for analysis.
- The test report will include an overview of the allegation or input on the investigation.
- The performance evaluation report will be completed.
- License is issued after the report has been checked.
- BIS (Business Intelligence Service) Products that need registration
Objectives of BIS
- Continual & harmonies development of standardisation, quality certification, & marking
- Seamless development of a national strategy for standards recognition and syncing them with the development of products as well as exports
- To ensure a new thrust to quality control and standardisation.
Quality Control Orders
BIS is a National Standards Body in India, involved with Conformity Assessment, Standardisation, and Quality Assurance of goods, services, processes and systems. The Indian Standards established by BIS underpin the basis for the Product Certification Schemes, which facilitates Third Party Assurance of product safety, quality, and reliability to consumers.
BIS certification scheme is essentially voluntary in nature. But, for certain products, compliance to Indian standards is made mandatorily by the Indian Government under several considerations, namely, public interest, the safety of humans, animals or plants, environmental protection, prevention of unfair trade practices and national security. For these products, the Indian Government mandates using Standard Mark under Certificate of Conformity (CoC) or License from BIS via issuing QCOs.
The Central Government of India, with the consultation of BIS, has published QCOs in the exercise of the powers conferred under Sections 16, 17 and 25 of the BIS Act, 2016, thereby making the products mandatory for BIS Certification.
Benefits of Securing BIS Certification
In A Nutshell, BIS Certificate:
- Provides ground for Total Quality Management, i.e., TQM
- Ensures better utilisation of resources
- Get rid of overhead expenses used to manufacture the final products.
- Facilitate global recognition, thereby ensuring access to untapped and overseas market
- Serves as strong evidence of product quality
- Enable firm to deploy bespoke quality management
- Aids firm to improve market reputation over time.
Types of BIS Certification
In the process of obtaining BIS Certification, we take care of all BIS Schemes and norms. We provide you full assistance from filing the application form, testing, and coordinating with BIS Officer until you obtain the Certificate. We assist in product testing and also in obtaining the various licenses covered under BIS.
Such licenses are:
- BIS CRS
- FMCS Certification
- ISI Mark/ Certification
- Recognition of Assaying and Hallmarking Centre
- BIS Laboratory Recognition Scheme
- Management System Certification
- ECO Mark Certification
Product Covered Under BIS Certification
Products Covered Under Mandatory Certification: Scheme - I (ISI Mark Scheme)
- Household Electrical goods
- Oil Pressure Stoves
- Automobile Accessories
- Cylinder, Valves and Regulator
- Medical Equipment
- Steel and Iron Products
- Electrical Transformers
- Electrical Motors
- Chemicals, Fertilisers, Polymers & Textiles
- Kitchen Appliances
- Domestic Water Heaters for use with LPG
- Air Conditioner and its related Parts, Hermetic Compressor and Temperature Sensing Controls
- Plugs and Socket-Outlets and Alternating Current Direct Connected Static Prepayment Meters for Active Energy
- Domestic Gas Stoves for use with Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG)
- Transparent Float Glass
- Domestic Pressure Cooker
- Rubber Hose for Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG)
- Aluminium Foil
- Non-Electric Toys
- Electric Toys
- Flat Transparent Sheet Glass
- Safety Glass
- Woven Sacks
- Butterfly Valves
- Reflectors for Bicycles
- Cattle Feeds
- Automobile Wheel Rim Component
- Foot Wear
- Press Tool-Punches
- Helmet for riders of Two-Wheeler Motor Vehicles
- Refrigerating Appliances
- Centrifugally cast (spun) iron pipes
- Flux Cored (Tubular) Electrodes
- Sewing Machine
- Water Treatment System
- Jute Bag
Product Under Mandatory Certification Scheme- IV (Grant of Certification of Conformity)
- Stamping/laminations/cores of transformers (with or without winding)
- Requirement of Retro-Reflective Devices for Bicycles
Products Under Mandatory Certification: Scheme - II (Registration Scheme)
- Electronic Games (Video)
- Plasma/ LCD/LED Televisions of screen size 32″ & above
- Optical Disc Players with built-in amplifiers of input power 200W and above
- Microwave Ovens
- Visual Display Units, Video Monitors of screen size 32″ & above
- Printers, Plotters
- Wireless Keyboards
- Telephone Answering Machines
- Amplifiers with input power 2000W and above
- Electronic Musical Systems with input power 200W and above
- Electronic Clocks with Mains Powers
- Set-Top Box
- Automatic Data Processing Machine
- Power Adaptors for IT Equipment
- Power Adaptors for Audio, Video & Similar Electronic Apparatus
- UPS/Invertors of rating≤5kVA
- DC or AC Supplied Electronic Control gear for LED Modules
- Sealed Secondary Cells/Batteries containing Alkaline or other non-acid Electrolytes for use in portable applications
- Self-Ballasted LED Lamps for General Lighting Services
- Fixed General-Purpose LED Luminaries
- Mobile Phones
- Cash Registers
- Point of Sale Terminals
- Copying Machines/Duplicators
- Smart Card Readers
- Mail Processing Machines/Postage Machines/Franking Machines
- Passport Reader
- Power Banks for use in portable applications
- Recessed LED Luminaries
- LED Luminaires for Road and Street lighting
- LED Flood Lights
- LED Handlamps
- LED Lighting Chains
- LED Luminaires for Emergency Lighting
- UPS/Inverters of rating ≤ 10kVA
- Plasma/ LCD/LED Television of screen size up to 32"
- Visual Display Units, Video Monitors of screen size up to 32"
- CCTV Cameras/CCTV Recorders
- Adapters for household and similar electrical appliances
- USB driven Barcode readers, barcode scanners, Iris scanners, Optical fingerprint scanners
- Standalone LED Modules for General Lighting
- Lighting Chain (Rope Lights)
- Induction Stove
- Automatic Teller Cash dispensing machines
- USB Type External Hard Disk Drive
- Wireless Headphones and Earphones
- USB Type External Solid-State Storage Devices (above 256 GB capacity)
- Electronic Musical System with input power below 200 Watts
- Standalone Switch Mode Power Supplies (SMPS)with an output voltage of 48 V (max)
- Television other than Plasma/ LCD/LED TVs
- Rice Cooker
- Wireless microphone
- Digital Camera
- Video Camera
- Webcam (Finished Product)
- Smart Speakers (with and without Display)
- Dimmers for LED products
- Bluetooth speakers
List of Solar Photovoltaics, Systems, Devices and Components under Compulsory Registration Scheme- Notified by Ministry of New and Renewable
- Crystalline Silicon Terrestrial Photovoltaic (PV) modules (Si wafer-based)
- Thin-Film Terrestrial Photovoltaic (PV) Modules (a-Si, CiGs and CdTe)
- Power converters for the use in photovoltaic power system
- Utility –Interconnected Photovoltaic inverters
- Storage battery
Low – Voltage switchgear and control gear-Notified by the Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises
- Low – Voltage switchgear & control gear: Circuit – Breakers
- Low – Voltage switchgear & control gear: switches, disconnectors, switch disconnectors and fuse – Combination units
- Low – Voltage switchgear & control gear: electromechanical contactors and Motor – starters
- Low – Voltage switchgear & control gear: AC semiconductor motor controllers and starters
- Low – Voltage switchgear & control gear: AC semiconductor motor controllers and contactors for non – Motor loads
- Low – Voltage switchgear & control gear: electromechanical control circuit devices
- Low – Voltage switchgear & control gear proximity switches
- Low – Voltage switchgear & control gear: electrical emergency stops devices with mechanical latching function
List of chemicals notified by the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers
- Ortho Phosphoric Acid
- Polyphosphoric Acid
- Trimethyl Phosphite
Procedure for BIS Certification
Procedure for BIS Certification includes licensing and surveillance process.
The steps for Licensing Process are as follows:
- Applicant fills the application form in the Correct Form as prescribed by BIS
- Applications are submitted with all the required documents
- BIS Officer visits the applicant's factory after receiving the Application for a preliminary inspection
- The BIS Officer also examines the product samples
- After completing all evaluations, the BIS Officer prepares the final test report.
After the inspection process, the BIS Officer conducts the surveillance process for conducting a complete factory survey.
The steps of the Surveillance Process are as follows:
- The examining Authority visits the factory to testify to the test reports.
- BIS Officer then sends the samples to the laboratory.
- Test report gives feedback or brief on the inspection
- A performance review report is prepared
- After examining all the reports, BIS issues the Certificate.
In India, how to become BIS certified?
After satisfactory safety testing of the product by notified Indian Standards and the submission of documentation, the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) awards the certification. TAXAJ is a group of highly experienced professionals helping Indian and international manufacturers to obtain their BIS Registration license to sell their electronic products in India. We help manufacturers complete all of the qualification requirements for BIS Registration. Are you looking for a BIS Registration certificate to help validate your product? We are here to assist you, so please connect with us.