Apply or Renew Passport Online
Welcome to our website where we facilitate our users to apply for the Passport with PSP division of the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India! This portal has been designed to provide comprehensive, reliable, user-friendly and one-stop source of information on obtaining a passport by a citizen in India. If you are visiting this website for the first time and are intending to apply for a passport or related service, you may spend a few minutes in reading this advisory.
How to Apply for Passport: Online & Offline Process Explained
If you are planning to travel abroad for pilgrimage, family visits, education, tourism, and the like, a passport should top the list of essential items to carry.
However, individuals travelling out of India for the first time can often end up puzzled about the correct way to apply for a passport online.
If you find yourself in a similar situation, here’s the perfect article to guide you through the process.
How to Apply for a Passport Online?
Here are the detailed steps for an online passport application -
- Step 1: Go to the official Passport Seva website and register yourself. You can also log in to your existing account.
- Step 2: Now, Click on “Apply for Fresh Passport/ Re-issue of Passport”. Note that you must not own an existing Indian passport to apply for a passport online under the “Fresh Passport” category.
- Step 3: Fill in the passport online application form with accurate details carefully and click on “Submit”.
- Step 4: Now, go back to the home page and select “View Saved/Submitted Applications”.
- Step 5: Click on “Pay and Schedule Appointment” from “View Saved/ Submitted Applications”.
- Step 6: You can book an appointment at a Passport Seva Kendra of your choice. Then, select and proceed to make the payment online or offline.
After completing this process, you can download a copy of the application receipt with your application reference number by clicking on ‘Print Application Receipt’.
You will receive an SMS with appointment details. This will act as proof of your appointment on your visit to the Passport Seva Kendra on the scheduled date.
Make sure to carry all original documents on your visit as proof of your eligibility.
Documents Required for Passport Application
Individuals must provide the following documents to apply for a new passport without any hassle -
- Proof of present address, which can be any from the following -
- Any utility bill.
- Income tax assessment order, election commission photo ID
- Adhaar card, rent agreement
- Parent’s passport copy (first and last page), in case of minors
- Proof of Date of Birth which can be any from the following -
- Birth certificate issued by the Registrar of Birth and Deaths or Municipal Corporation or another prescribed authority.
- Adhaar card
- Voter ID card
- PAN card issued by Income Tax Department
- Documentary proof for any of the Non-ECR (previously ECNR) categories.
Passport Application Fees
|Application Fee||Tatkaal Application Fee|
|Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport with additional booklet due to exhaustion of visa pages (36 pages) of 10 years validity.||₹ 1,500||₹ 2,000|
|Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport with additional booklet due to exhaustion of visa pages (60 pages) of 10 years validity.||₹ 2,000||₹ 2,000|
|Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport for Minors (below 18 years of age), of 5 years validity or till the minor attains the age of 18, whichever is earlier (36 pages)||₹ 1,000||₹ 2,000|
|Replacement of Passport (36 pages) in lieu of a lost, damaged or stolen passport||₹ 3,000||₹ 2,000|
|Replacement of Passport (60 pages) instead of a lost, damaged or stolen passport||₹ 3,500||₹ 2,000|
|Police Clearance Certificate (PCC)||₹ 500||Nil|
|Replacement of Passport (36 pages) for deletion of ECR / Change in personal particulars (10-year validity)||₹ 1,500||₹ 2,000|
|Replacement of Passport (60 pages) for deletion of ECR / Change in personal particulars (10-year validity)||₹ 2,000||₹ 2,000|
|Replacement of Passport (36 pages) for deletion of ECR/ Change in personal particulars for Minors (below 18 years of age), of 5 years validity or till the minor attains the age of 18, whichever is earlier.||₹ 1,000||₹ 2,000|
Passport Application Processing Time
Passport dispatching is done by India Post through speed post to the address mentioned by the applicant while filling up the passport application form.
The processing time for general passport applicants is 30 to 45 days. However, the passport application time is 7 to 14 days for applications made under the Tatkal mode.
You can track the delivery status by going onto the Tracking Utility feature available on the India Post’s Speed post portal.
Eligibility Requirement for Passport Application
Individuals must meet the following eligibility criteria to enjoy a successful passport application procedure -
- Indian citizens who are 18 years and above can apply for a passport.
- Children below 18 can apply for a passport valid for 5 years or till they turn 18.
- Children aged between 15 and 18 years can get a 10-year valid passport. Parents can also opt for a passport for their children, which is valid till they turn 18.
Validity and Expiry of a Passport
If you are wondering how long your new passport will be valid, here is a brief overview -
- A normal passport generally consists of 36/60 pages and is valid for 10 years from the date it is issued.
- For citizens below the age of 18, the validity of a passport is 5 years.
- Minors aged 15-18 can opt for a 10-year valid passport. Furthermore, they can go for a passport which is valid till they turn 18.
Now that you are aware of the various requirements to apply for a passport online, go ahead with our discussed application procedure.
Note that if you need your passport urgently, you can submit an application stating its reason to the nearest RPO. The Regional Officer would then decide its delivery time, considering your request.